Monday 2 September 2013

Dearest Reader...


Flower buds rupture into ruffles of silky petals, as vivid floral skirts adorn store windows... Blue skies wash away winter clouds, just as grocery baskets fill with punnets of strawberries. Spring has finally arrived. In the week leading up to nature's quarterly metamorphosis, I took the opportunity to embrace the season of rebirth and regeneration...

There are only twenty-four hours in a day. Less than twenty once you factor out the time you spend sleeping. Unlike those incredibly discounted heels that were half a size too small, we just can't stretch out time. Nor can we take back these hours once they've slipped away. (Curse you 'no returns on sale items' policy!) All we can do is make sure we think carefully and make the right decisions the first time round. Knowing that I have a vicious series of exams in 18 days, I've moved a humble whiteboard to the wall in front of my desk. Let the guilt-provoking, daily-to-do-list-making begin! 

In the spirit of the season, I also made the decision to do a little bit of spring cleaning... Soul spring cleaning. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green arrived at my door earlier this week and I can't wait to begin reading it. From what I've heard, this is going to be one of those unforgettably moving novels. One of those novels that leave you teary but with a newfound view on life. Literature is always such a brilliant source of such spiritually awakening enlightenment!

Speaking of spring cleaning, making sure that your pantry and fridge is always filled with wholesome and nutritious delights is the best way to cleanse your system! There will always be a huge jar of almonds living in my pantry. We all know what it's like to come home from a long day, with cravings for something flavoursome and crunchy. There's nothing like the heartwarming smell of toasted almonds after an exhausting day. Whilst munching away on some delicious almonds, I always take a moment to unwind and peacefully scroll through the wonderful world of Instagram. Ahhh... Double tap.

With the blossoming flowers and sunny days of this season comes... Strawberries. Hurrah! Who doesn't love strawberries? A plate of fresh strawberries and a square of Lindt dark chocolate for dessert is the epitome of life's simple pleasures. 

Did I mention, I really love my strawberries? Strawberry and banana protein smoothies always make my day! I have a great way to add a thick creamy texture to your smoothie without adding any fats... Here's my secret: I soaking some oats in almond milk (and some vanilla essence) overnight then add it into the blender come smoothie time. I'll be sure to post a recipe soon so you can try it out yourself!

Breakfast of the champions... Yes, Weetbix. But nobody likes staring into a bowl of sad and soggy brown wheat mush. A charming mix of chopped strawberries, banana and toasted almonds ought to inject a little charisma into your bowl of cereal! And yes, that's almost a punnet of strawberries in my bowl (it would've been the entire punnet but I had a few whilst chopping). It's Spring and I really like strawberries, okay?

For my dearest readers on the other the hemisphere, I hope my proclamations on the beauties of this season has brightened your day a little. Still can't remember, how lovely this season is under those grey Autumn skies? Please allow me to quote young Miss Mary Lennox from Frances Hodgson Burnett's The Secret Garden. What is Spring? 'It is the sun shining on the rain and the rain falling on the sunshine...'

Love,
Julie T.

No comments:

Post a Comment