Monday 30 September 2013

The Red Lipstick.


A symbol of vigour and vitality, love and lust… Red is the most fervent colour of life itself. I believe that every woman should be able to experience the feminine empowerment embodied in the iconic red lipstick.



I must admit, I have an exceptional obsession with the red lipstick. Perhaps it’s an addiction to the sheer exhilaration of dressing my lips in such a thrilling colour. Such an intense colour should not be feared but embraced. Unlike some, I wouldn’t say that it is a difficult colour to wear though I do have some tips on perfecting red lips that will last throughout the night.
  1. Exfoliate your lips – flaky lips are especially exaggerated by bold lip colours. Using a soft tooth brush or a mixture of honey and sugar, remove any dead skin before starting your makeup routine. 
  2. Begin by staining your lips – even before any other makeup is applied. I love using Revlon’s Just Bitten Kissable Lip Balm Stain in Adore (005). By the time I’m ready to return to the lips, I simply blot away the excess balm leaving them feeling soft and moisturised.
  3. Line the border of your lips – this will assist you in attaining clean edges (a crucial component of the perfect red lips). Remember to stay at the border (between lip and skin) without touching skin. However, carefully applying lip liner on the border itself can create the impression of fuller lips. The shade of lip liner should be identical to the shade of the lipstick to be applied. I can always rely on Revlon’s ColorStay Lip Liner to last throughout the night.
  4. Apply a few coats of lipstick, blotting in between each coat. This can be done by placing a folded tissue in between your lips and gently pressing them together and allows you to gradually build colour. If you find that your hands are not steady enough to apply the product directly from the bullet, use a lip brush to carefully paint on your lipstick.

Though I do appreciate all forms of the red lipstick, I cannot deny my consistent gravitation towards the classic matte formulas. My all time favourite red lipstick would have to be Maybelline’s SuperStay 14HR Lipstick in Ravishing Rouge or Enduring Ruby, which I discuss here.

What comes to mind when you think of couture? Extravagant jewels? Intricately embellished clutches? Elaborate headpieces? When I think of couture, I think of deliciously and daringly red lipstick. I hope that I’ve convinced you to pick red next time you’re in need of a colour to dress your smile!

Love,
Julie T.

No comments:

Post a Comment