Sunday 7 July 2013

WINTER WARMERS: ROASTED CHESTNUTS

As we dive into the dark depths of winter, we tend to take with us plenty of sweet and fattening edibles. Then in the wake of summer, in the harsh and unforgiving sunlight, we face the shocking repercussions of our winter gluttony...

My dearest readers, it does not have to be this way! I have come up with some simple winter warmers that are nutritious and most of all: delicious. Brace yourself for what I am about to say but... Comfort food can be healthy. I have decided to begin our nutritious quest for heart warming winter delights with the magnificent chestnut:


There's something so beautiful about these nuts, with their dark woody shells which break open to reveal a soft and sweet content. When choosing chestnuts, make sure the shell is firm and free from blemishes. I do confess that I love a freshly baked muffin, but I find that a bowl of roasted chestnuts is just as, if not more satisfying (I do believe it's the lack of guilt that makes food taste better). Even before they are cooked your kitchen (and the rest of your house!) will be filled with this heavenly nutty aroma that almost defies the laws of physics - I swear on my beloved blog, they smell 'warm'...

Roasting Chestnuts

Step 1. Preheat your oven to 180°C. Begin by giving them a quick rinse, then pat dry with a tea towel. 



Step 2. With a serrated knife, carefully cut a horizontal and vertical slit onto each nut. This prevents excess pressure from building up under the shell during the cooking process. (I shall not be held accountable for any exploding chestnuts!) Transfer onto a tray lined with baking paper, cut side up.


Step 3. Place tray into preheated oven and roast for approximately 20 minutes. You will notice the shell peeling back as they cook!


Step 4. Remove from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes. (Though this wait may be difficult with the mouth-watering aromas filling your kitchen, I wouldn't want you to burn your fingers!)


Step 5. When cool enough to touch (but still nice and warm!) peel back the shell and enjoy!

Now that you're happily munching on your chestnuts, I thought I might add to your joy by informing you that these nuts are in fact low fat, gluten and cholesterol free. There're also a great source of iron and potassium! See I told you comfort food can be healthy.

Happy roasting!
Julie T.

No comments:

Post a Comment