Sunday 4 August 2013

Dearest Reader

So here we are at the end of the beginning... The end of the first week of semester two, to be exact. There were times when I felt like staying in bed all day. Well actually, I felt like morphing into a ball of blankets and pillows each and every morning. But you know what? Once you finally make that small step out of bed (i.e. that giant leap for an exhausted and sleep deprived uni student) the day isn't as bad as it seems. Though it is taking some effort to excavate any remnants of optimism from the extremities of my soul, it can be done! Especially with the help of some good food, good company and a treat or two along the way...

I decided that the new semester called for a new laptop case... Trivial, you say? Yes, I know, but I often find that having somewhat flamboyant artefacts scattered here and there, makes my day a little brighter. A wildly red laptop case, doesn't scream Mardi Gras, but it certainly puts a smile on my dial!

On the topic of rouge items, a fresh punnet of strawberries always makes be feel infinitely better! I love that kick you get after single handedly devouring an entire punnet (perhaps it's the vitamin C high?) I assure you, eating fresh is the way to go on those foggy-minded mornings.

'But Julie! I can't survive on strawberries alone!' I know, I know... You know what you need? A gigantic sandwich stuffed with the goodness of lots of fresh vegetables, some grilled eggplant and a wholesome homemade vege patty. 

Now Friday had come and it was time to unwind. It is quite alright for one to treat oneself every once in a while, right? Especially when such a treat involves froyo! Green tea and biscotti froyo, with strawberries, slivered almonds and mochi. Need I say more?

Though treats come in many shapes and sizes, ingredients and kilojoules... To be quite honest with you, sometimes a really good salad can be a treat in itself. It's always nice to appreciate the flavours of natural food that hasn't been concocted in a lab or fried to death. One of my all time favourite salads is a charming mess of vinegarette carrots and fennel, celery, parsley, toasted pine nuts and just a few drops of sesame oil!

They say that aromas have an exceptional effect on our moods too. And on my quest to combat wintery chapped lips, dabbing on some of Nivea's Lip Butter in Caramel Cream has kept me quite cheery!

Speaking of this delightful lip product, I will be publishing my first ever monthly favourites post tomorrow. I've decided to feature all of my most loved beauty products on the first Monday of each month from now on and I do hope you'll pop by to have a peek. See you soon!

Love,
Julie T.

No comments:

Post a Comment